iNANO, Office 1590-326
Aarhus University, Gustav Wieds Vej 14
8000 Århus C, Denmark
Tel: (+45) 87 15 67 52,
Mobile (+45) 60 20 27 25
Web: www. Gothelf-lab.com, www.CDNA.dk, www.EScoDNA.eu, www.DETECT.au.dk
- 1987: High school graduation from Thisted Gymnasium.
- 1987: Matriculation at Aarhus University (Chemistry/Biotechnology).
- 1989/90: Exchange student at Heidelberg University, Germany.
- 1993: Cand.scient. in chemistry/biotechnology under Professor Kurt B. G. Torssell, Aarhus University.
- 1995: PhD in organic chemistry under Prof. K. A. Jørgensen, Aarhus University.
- 1996-1997: Postdoc in Professor K. A. Jørgensen’s group at Aarhus University.
- 1998-1999: Postdoc in Professor M. C. Pirrung’s group at Duke University, USA.
- 1999-2001: Postdoc at Center for Metal-Catalyzed Reactions, Aarhus University.
- 2001-2003: Assistant Professor at Aarhus University.
- 2003-2005: Research Associate Professor at Aarhus University.
- 2005-2007: Associate Professor at Aarhus University.
- 2007-2012: Professor (MSO) in Organic Nanochemistry at Aarhus University.
- 2007-2017: Director of the Danish National Research Foundation: Centre for DNA Nanotechnology.
- 2012-present: Professor in Organic Chemistry at Aarhus University.
- 2013-2017: Coordinator of the European School of DNA Nanotechnology, Marie Curie Initial Training Network under FP7
- 2015-2019: Coordinator of the Research Project, DETECT, funded by the Innovation Fund Denmark
- 1997: Danish Academy of Natural Sciences PhD prize (Gold Medal)
- 2004: Torkil Holm Research Award for Chemistry 2004 (100 KKR)
- 2008: Knud Lind Larsen Prize (35 KKR)
- 2010: The Ministry of Science Eliteforsk Award (1200 KKR)
Author/coauthor of 150 peer-reviewed papers in refereed journals of which >60 are published in American Chemical Society journals, 3 patents (filed or submitted). >7300 Citations. Hirsch’s index = 42.
CURRENT RESEARCH GROUP:
Gothelf lab, iNANO, Aarhus University: 4 post docs, 15 PhD students, 4 master students, 4 bachelor or project students, 1 technician, and 1 administrator.
Within CDNA: Professor Flemming Besenbacher (Institute of Physics and Astronomy (IFA), Aarhus University), Jørgen Kjems (Department of Molecular Biology, Aarhus University), Elena Ferapontova (iNANO), Victoria Birkedal (iNANO), Mingdong Dong (iNANO), Ebbe Andersen (MB), Associate Professor Thom LaBean (Duke University), Associate Professor Hao Yan (Arizona State University), Associate Professor William Shih (Harvard University).
Others: Associate Professor Trolle Linderoth (IFA), Associate Professor Bjørk Hammer (IFA), AU; Professor Jan Skov Pedersen (Department of Chemistry, AU). Professor Kim Daasbjerg (Chemistry), Professor Karl Anker Jørgensen (Center for Catalysis, AU), Professor Peter Ogilby (Center for Oxygen Microscopy and Imaging), Professor Leif Østergaard (CFIN, AU), Teknologisk Institut Aarhus, Vipergen Pharmaceuticals (Copenhagen), Unisense (Aarhus), Associate Professor Andriy Mokhir (Heidelberg University, Germany), Chunhai Fan (SINAP, Shanghai),
- 2001-2003: STVF, Talent Project (DKK 1m) (56-00-0301)
- 2003: The Aarhus University Research Foundation (DKK 192,000)
- 2003-2004: STVF, Rammeprogram (DKK 1.25m) (26-02-0269)
- 2004: Torkil Holms Foundation Research Prize 2004 (DKK 100,000)
- 2004-2005: The Carlsberg Foundation, Research program (Research Associate Professor Grant) (DKK 1m)
- 2005-2006: STVF, Yngre forskere (DKK 2.16m) (2117-04-0007)
- 2006-2007: Lundbeck, HPLC instrument (DKK 425,000)
- 2006-2009: Internationaliseringsstipendier (approx. DKK 1.75m, Forskningsrådene via iNANO)
- 2007-2012: Danmarks Grundforskningsfond: Centre for DNA Nanotechnology (DKK 41m)
- 2009-2013: NABIIT: Electrochemical sensors for neurotransmitters (DKK 9m)
- 2012-2017: Danmarks Grundforskningsfond: Centre for DNA Nanotechnology II (DKK 50m)
- 2013-2017: European School of DNA Nanotechnology, Marie Curie ITN, FW7 (approx. DKK 4m)*
- 2014-2015: Lundbeck, Research Project (approx. DKK 1m)
- 2015-2019: The Innovation Fund: DETECT (approx. 15m)*
- 2015-2018: Lundbeck, PhD scholarship (approx. DKK 1.6m)
- 2016-2019: Lundbeck, PhD scholarship (approx. DKK 1.6m)
- 1999-2007: The Danish National Research Foundation: Center for Catalysis (approx. DKK 4m)*
- 2002-2004: SNF via Center for Oxygen Microscopy (approx. DKK 1m)*
- 2004-2006: Danish Research Councils via iNANO (approx. DKK 1,5m)*
- 2006-2010: O’Chem Graduate school
- 2008-2011: DNRF MOBIL program (DKK 600,000)
- 2007-2009: Direktoratet for FødevareErhverv (DKK 0.5m)*
- 2009-2012: DNRF Sino-Danish Center: Molecular nanostructures on Surfaces (approx. DKK 1.5m)*
- 2012-2015: DNRF Sino-Danish Center: Molecular nanostructures on Surfaces (approx. DKK 1.6m)*
- ERASynBio, A Unified Nucleic Acid Computation System for Organisms (approx. DKK 2.8m)*
(* Gothelf share)
- Advanced Organic Chemistry, Ak2, 1 semester/year, 10 ECTS, 2001- (4 h lectures/week).
- Specialized Subjects in Organic Chemistry, 1 quarter/year, 5 ECTS, 2007-2011 (4 h lectures week)
- Nucleic Acid Chemisty 5 ECTS, 2013- (4h lectures/week)
- Supervisor of 45 bachelorprojects (2007-)
- Chairman of the Board of the Division of Organic Chemistry under the Danish Chemical Society, 2009
- Referee for: Science, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, Nature Chemistry, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Angewandte Chemie, Nanoletters, ACSnano, Journal of Organic Chemistry, Langmuir, Chemical Reviews, Chemistry – A European Journal, Macromolecular Chemistry, Chemical Communications, European Journal of Organic Chemistry
- Evaluation of several research proposals from Denmark, Europe, USA and Israel.
- Organizer of the CDNA minisymposium at Aarhus University 2007 and at Duke University, 2009
- Member of Danish Academy of Technical Sciences, 2011- present
- Member of the International Advisory board for ChemPlusChem, 2011- present
- Organizer of the international conference on DNA computing and molecular programming (DNA18) in Aarhus, August 2012.
- Treasurer of the International Society for Nanoscale Science, Computation and Engineering, 2010-13
- President of the International Society for Nanoscale Science, Computation and Engineering, 2013- present
- Organizer of the international workshop on “Advances in Molecular Programming and Computing: Toward Chemistry as a New Information Technology”, Copenhagen, 2013
- Member of The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters, 2014 – present
- Member of the Executive Committee at Department of Chemistry, Aarhus University, 2015 – present
- Organizer of the international Bilateral Workshop on Nanotechnology and Chemistry, iNANO, Aarhus University, 2015
- Chairman of the Research Committee at iNANO, Aarhus University, 2015 – present